Sargents love their way of life and what comes with it and they love to share it. There are plenty of riding opportunities for intermediate to experienced riders or for the novice seriously motivated to learn.
Three generations of the Sargent family operate this 28,000- acre ranch raising 500 head of Angus cattle and running 35 head of registered quarter horses. The Sargent Ranch was homesteaded in 1919 and Grandpa Bill and Grandma Phyllis live at the site of the homestead just down the road from Dale and Martha Sargent and their children Wes (20) and Kayla (17).
The panorama begins with the Snowies in the north, then the Belt Mountains and to the west are the Crazy Mountains with the Beartooth/Absarokee Range unfolding to the south and finally the prairie stretching as far as the eye can see to the east.
Their varied riding experiences including cattle work for the more experienced riders prompted one guest to say “the working ranch of my imagination” in a peaceful and remote private setting.
Activities, The Ranch Operations
- We gather and brand weekends all during May
- We move cattle to summer pasture in late June and you can ride with us to check on the cattle two or three times a week all summer long. Then there is always grass, water and fences to check.
- Watch ranch roping practices in the evenings as Dale and Wes get ready for state competitions
- We ride in early fall gathering cattle for pre-conditioning and then we have the “Big Gather” the end of October when the cows are trailed home.
- Ranch-raised foals bred for disposition, cow sense and stamina, are weaned in late fall. Dale and Wes continue the training throughout the winter getting them ready for the annual production horse sale the end of May.
More than just riding
- Spend some time taking salt to the cows or sneak away with an oat bucket to feed the mares and new foals.
- Enjoy a hot summer’s afternoon at the lake if you can convince the boss to go fishing when you are saddle sore!
- Stay in the Ranch House Guest Room with queen bed and private bathroom. The guest room is in the basement so it is nice and cool in the summer and quiet all year long.
- Or choose the new 3-bedroom, 2-bath nicely furnished trailer which is available for “larger” groups.
+ Click Photos to Enlarge +