Runamuk Ranch Roundup, Montana
A great working ranch for those who want authentic western charm in wide open cattle country. Nestled in the Bull Mountains with dramatic limestone outcroppings jutting into the skyline, 4th and 5th generations of the Dahl family (since 1880) raise commercial cattle and horses year round on 18,000 acres. They are now opening their doors to guests who want to take an active part in ranch life where calving, branding, checking herd health and cutting, sorting and moving cattle are all activities done on horseback.
Imagine moving cow/calf pairs to new pastures, an occasional glimpse of an elk herd from the back of your horse, then trail riding to an outdoor cookout, and sitting around a campfire with music and friends. This is a great place to call home when you are away from home.
Check the schedule of events at the ranch and overlap your stay with a branding trail ride, cattle drive, roundup or barn dance.
- Daily riding is available every day, all cattle work is done on horseback
- Wagons Ho! Cattle Round-up around Labor Day each year.
- Guests enjoy 6 days of scenic riding while gathering cattle.
- Sunset rides or arena work offered in the evenings.
- Camp outs peppered with riding, cattle work, and outdoor cookouts
- Non-riders enjoy 4-wheeling, hiking to ranch landmarks, or relaxing
- Rafting or fishing on days you want to venture off the ranch
Good food is definitely one of the greater pleasures in life and Jody’s flair for cooking was recently showcased by the Food Network television show. Their complements tell the story: “Having traveled to some of the finest resorts and kitchens in the world, I can say that Jody’s skill in the kitchen rivals some of the best-trained chefs.”
- Flexible booking year round requiring no minimum stay, activities are dependent on the season and you can arrive/depart on any day of the week with airport transfers to/from Billings, Montana.
- The lodge is a charming 4-bedroom, 2 ½ bathroom home with large kitchen, laundry facilities and living area. (Sleeps 12.)
- The historic one room cabin with loft is located 6 miles from the ranch house in a peaceful setting. (Sleeps 6)